Making the Laboratory Move
Anyone who has been involved in a life sciences facility move knows it’s a difficult endeavor, one fraught with stress and a million things to do.
Oddly enough, doing it successfully is like a good bankruptcy. As one character asks another in Ernest Hemingway’s novel The Sun Also Rises: “How did you go bankrupt?”
The answer: “Two ways. Gradually and then suddenly.”
Taking a biotech laboratory offline for any amount of time is an expensive proposition. The move itself has to happen fast and hard so that downtime is minimized. But making that happen is dependent on a long period of precision planning and preparation.
And given the churn in the biotech, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries in the Wilmington-Philadelphia-Trenton corridor, relocating a lab might be in any facility manager’s future.
There are the long-term development of life sciences and related industries in South Jersey and Philadelphia at play, especially those centered in Fishtown or around Drexel University and the University of Pennsylvania. Additionally, the short-term impacts unleashed by COVID-19 have not only created a rapid demand for biotech facilities but severe budgetary shocks to some institutions that will result in relocation. The bottom line is that the entire region—Philly, South Jersey, North Jersey, Bucks County, Montgomery County, and Delaware’s New Castle County—are all primed for flux in the life sciences, biotech, and pharmaceutical industries.
If a lab move is the Herculean task you’re facing—or is in the offing—then Business Move Solutions Inc. is here to help. We understand all the nuances of getting a laboratory moved—quickly, legally, and safely.
We understand that scientists’ apparatus are their babies — the tools they use to save the world from disease and other threats — and that the upheaval of a move is not just technically challenging but emotionally taxing for the entire staff. We’re here to move that weight off your shoulders. We’ll do this, in part, by rolling up our sleeves and doing the drudge work that just has to be done before the fast-paced physical move itself:
Steps for pharmaceutical, Laboratory, chemical industries, biotech laboratory, and similar industries moving or relocations.
- The first step is coordinating with original equipment manufacturers (OEM) who will handle the disassembling, reassembling, and calibration of their products under your service contract. Their availability will dictate most of the move; everything else flows down from this reality.
- We’ll get a handle on your other specific needs, such as which chemicals and live samples are in play for relocation and which for disposal.
- A detailed logistics schedule is hammered out and finalized.
- We’ll then build our team of professionals who are experienced and understand the reality that “slow and steady” wins the race in the biotech and laboratory moving realm. This is a job for the proverbial tortoises of the world, not the hares.
- At your new location, everything will be prepped, including the biggies like HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and exhaust lines. Based on the schematics of your equipment, what is needed will be precisely where it needs to be.
- Concurrently, we’ll be preparing to handle the decontamination and disposable of any HAZMAT from your old facility, ensuring that HEPA filters and all other hazardous materials are disposed of safely. This includes all legally required documentation.
- On the day of the move, we’ll hit the ground running, packing any Pyrex and other support equipment quickly and efficiently. The generator trucks will be there to handle live samples and other materials requiring strict environmental conditions. We have access to all of the laboratory pedestals, live sample containers, and roller lifts necessary.
- We should be able to get you up and running by the next day at your new facility, minimizing that financially difficult downtime for your lab.
The steps above are all part of an intricate dance—coordinating the work of, say, five transition teams and six OEM contractors simultaneously in what will still be a working lab until the “day of”—and it requires the kind of steady coordination we’ve provided many times before.
The reality is that a lab relocation can consume half-a-year of your organization’s attention. By partnering with Business Move Solutions, you can add to your team a group of dedicated professionals who understand every step of the process—and who can relieve your in-house team of months of time-consuming toil. But the kind of work that simply has to be done if a seamless, successful move is to be the endpoint for your institution or business.
Every lab is unique—but every successful lab move is the same: gradual planning and prep, then sudden accomplishment.
Contact us today.